UIC 2013 Fashion Show "Soul of Chicago" Coordinated by Kendro

Did you know in 1970 Don Cornelius (born & raised in the Bronzeville neighborhood) created the show "Soul Train" before it moved to L.A. the following year? 

I was chosen to be a coordinator and model for the 2013 UIC Fashion Show and the theme happened to be "Made in Chicago". I decided to dedicate my scene "Soul of Chicago" to the late Don Cornelius & the Soul Train. I grew up watching Soul Train every Saturday at 1pm, listening to old school music, & dancing. This project was very important to me because I learned to appreciate Black American culture and take pride in my heritage and an early age. 


I wanted to express this history and culture to those who did not know about this. The models in my scene & I danced down the runway to "Let's Groove Tonight" by Chicago funk band Earth, Wind, and Fire. Special thanks to all the models, UIC, K&N Media for photography, & LeThrift Consignment Boutique in Wicker Park for allowing me to bring my vision to life.
 













Follow me on social media!: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Pinterest |YouTube | Google Plus | Donate to TKS

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment