How To Spot A Fake Dashiki

Source: sunbeachdressshop

This year dashikis have regained popularity among young Black millennials wishing to reconnect with their African roots. While this, along with the natural hair movement, is a beautiful display of celebrating heritage, a problem has arisen. Many of the dashikis sold in stores are actually fake.


Yes that's right folks, many of the dashikis are not authentic. In celebrating African culture, it's also important to support Black/African owned businesses that are creating the real thang and keep the spirit of ujamaa alive and well.

I think this is also a learning experience for those of us in the diaspora. While many of us want to embrace our roots via fashion, it's important that we know the terms and names of the clothing, not just calling them "tribal print". It's important we know the history and background of these sacred pieces. Check out this video from Legaci Clothing on how to tell the difference between an authentic and a fake dashiki. 


CONVERSATION

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous9/18/2016

    Thanks Kween

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more than welcome, glad I could help.

      Delete
  2. Great post thanks for the info sis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more than welcome, Christophe!

      Delete
  3. I love this! As a fashion blogger and a black woman I feel it is very important to make sure to represent our culture authentically.I do love a good trendy piece, but no one's culture or cultural garments should be made as 'fast fashion'.That is a big 'no' for me.In my mind I always go back to Yaya on America's Next Top Model when she proudly told Tyra that kente hat was not authentic and she would not wear that.

    Thanks for the blog love-Caribbean Cowgirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm super late replying because I JUST fixed my comment section on my layout! Thanks hunn! Yes, Yaya was a REAL one back on the ANTM days. And yes this is our culture and it's our responsibility to represent it correctly, not just for a trend. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete